Why are you a fan of your NBA team?

Why are you a fan of your NBA team?

What’s up fellas. As the title says, what made you a fan of your team?

When I tell people I’m a Wizards fan, by far the most common response is “why”?, which is totally understandable because It’s been pretty damn grim lol. So for beginners I’m from Alexandria, which is right outside of DC. So geographically it makes sense for me. I got into basketball pretty young, but Bullets/Wizards games weren’t televised really at all, except when the ghost of Michael Jordan played for us. So to start off with as a kid, I was more of a fan of specific players than teams. I’m an old head, so the guys I loved growing up were Alonzo Mourning, Barkley, Glen Rice, Tim Hardaway, Reggie Miller, etc. Early 90’’s guys.

My best friends dad worked for some government agency in DC, and had season tickets for the Bullets, now Wizards. He took my friend and I to a Friday night game against Hakeem and the Rockets(who ended up winning the chip that year) for my very first live pro basketball game. It was 1995 (fuuuuck) and the Bullets were awful. They had Juwan Howard, Chris Webber, Gugliotta and Rex Chapman. They got blown out. If I was smart I would’ve became a Houston fan right then, but no. I enjoyed the home crowd getting behind the team even though they were outclassed. After that game, he took us to a couple games every month. My fandom has just grown from there. It’s been mostly bad, but i can’t quit them. It’s like an abusive relationship. Either way, that’s my long winded tale of how it came to be for me.

So let’s hear your stories! We’re all stuck inside, let’s do some reminiscing!

no hating on why people like a team, who cares?

2 Likes

Unfortunately born in the D. Pistons fan smh.

2 Likes

I live in Connecticut. Idk why i did this to myself

2 Likes

you’ve seen greatness at least lol

Kobe

1 Like

The Celtics are the best franchise and my hometown. The only team that compares is the Lakers.

Born in the city of Miami

1 Like

Suns because I just love taking Ls

4 Likes

Russell Westbrook and his passion for the game of basketball. Still a huge westbrook fan but I’m a thunder fan

Always been a Kobe fan, this is one of my favorite games of all time. Two stars at their best going all out. Gil with the 60 piece, Kobe with 45. If some of you younger cats never saw prime Gil, he was a god before the knees went.

4 Likes

Taking Ls is worth it if you get good draft picks. Wasting them on Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender isn’t worth it though

Im from right outside Cle. Cavs Browns Tribe Buckeyes.

1 Like

I’m a Warriors fan because I’m from the Bay Area. I used to watch games with my dad when I was a kid, and I was a fan because it was family tradition. I became a super fan when Manute Bol started playing for the Dubs… Run TMC was awesome to me and everything, but it seriously was Manute that got me hooked :joy:

2 Likes

I used to love those teams, Hardaway is one of my top 5 favorite players of all time. Mitch and Chris were amazing as well. We had Manute for a minute as well. Seeing him in person was wild as hell, your brain can’t compute someone being that tall.

1 Like

Gil was the man for awhile, he came out of no where too.

1 Like
2 Likes

It sucks he’s remembered more for the dumb shit he did than his talent on the court. He deserved all the backlash, he’s an idiot. But in his prime, he got people around here hyped. That one season he had like 6 game winners.

became a dallas cowboy fan in 05 so i went to the mavs as well

1 Like

The 2000s had good basketball

3 Likes

Always liked the Mavs. It was awesome to see Dirks ascension.