Trust me....you can play defense in this game. Here's how

Trust me....you can play defense in this game. Here's how

Hear me out, this is not a brag thread at all. With all the negativity around 2K20 gameplay, i felt the need to share some positivity from my perspective. Numbers don’t lie so i posted some Game Recaps from Unlimited

Sample from some of my recent games. As you can see most of my opponents hardly score 50 points or shoot or 50%. These games are vs comp players, godsquads, casuals, rimrunners, 5-outers, everyone. Some names you may or may not recognize(PS4)

No shots at anyone or anything…im just trying to get the point across that you CAN play defense in 2K20. The thing is this year its much HARDER to play defense than it was 2K19. 2K19 had juiced CPU defenders that did most of the work for you. That’s not the case anymore.

• You NEED to have defenders and two way players on your team. How you expect to stop anyone with Gilbert Arenas?

• Defensive settings are a must. Know how your AI teammates will react in every situation by doing settings. This takes away the guessing

• When the ballhandler gets close to the rim, CLICK OFF and let the CPU contest his shots. This is the part of the game that i don’t like. USER paint defense is pretty trash. But once you have good rim protectors you can honestly let them handle the paint defense. I’ve noticed they get better animations and reactions than you do as a user. Until they buff manual contests in the paint…this is the best way to play it

• Bump the ballhandler as much as you can. When you have defenders with clamps, they get better bump animations and force more ball pickups. So i try to stick to them like glue and push them away from the rim. Momentum behind-the-back can beat you if you do this so be aware but most other moves are disrupted by the bumping

• Always keep your fingers on the right stick. I use the right stick and the left stick when playing on ball defense. This means im always in position to contest a shot no matter how fast they try to shoot. Even if i get beat off-the-dribble i can get my hands up quicker to contest the shot. Set your Pro Stick Defense settings to Absolute in the controller settings menu

• I play strictly man-to-man defense. Never zone. You can if you want but personally i dont like giving up holes and open 3’s

Those are the main tips, if i think of anything else i will add it. I’m just trying to show people that it is possible to play defense in this game. It’s harder yes, but not impossible. If i can do it, you can do it. I’ve also played against a small handful of guys that know how to play good defense. 2K19 spoiled us in a lot of ways by holding our hands…especially on the defensive end with super-powered AI.

Those days are gone. If anyone still doesn’t believe me, i’ll gladly jump on stream and show live action gameplay in Unlimited. Just let me know.

******** UPDATE *********

For those that wanna see video of how i play defense…here you go. 13 long minutes of nothing but defensive clips from Unlimited games lol

• PAY ATTENTION to how i defend the paint when the opponent gets close to the rim. i CLICK OFF and let the CPU contest at the rim. Do you see how good those defensive animations are?

• Good defenders bump the ballhandler so much that they have to give extra effort to try to get to the rim. Rimrunning is not really a problem for me

• Anticipate the side where the ballhandler will go with that behind-the-back move and try to cut him off. Its hard but possible

• 2K20 is nowhere as bad as 2K18 was. I HATED 2k18 with a passion…you couldnt play defense at all. Take it from me, 2K20 is way above that. There’s levels to it that a lot of players just havent figured out yet. That’s just the truth.

61 Likes

Woah!! Clamp God :fire:

Earv is a legend. Thank you :+1:t3:

Yea I realized last week it’s better to let the CPU handle the paint shit.

1 Like

MVP of this site. Thanks for the tips, any baseline runners tips? I always give up 15-20 offensive rebounds each game, am I’m playing to much onball?

1 Like

When defending baseline i just always try to force them to the middle towards help. Baseline is flukey again this year.

For rebounds, click onto to Center and try to box out yourself after the shot is up. Not sure if you do this already but it always works for me.

3 Likes

cool tips bro, definitely gonna try the KI zone defense one… I think I can give a few more once I got home, big defense fan here :slight_smile:

when it’s earv. we trust. haven’t even read it yet

1 Like

there are some offensive rebounds that are just scripted (equalizer)

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips bro! What defensiv settings are you using ?

Curious what your lineup looks like @EarvGotti. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Defense definitely exists, except when you’re playing the top 1% of players who 5 out, behind the back momentum with the shot meter off etc.

Those are the really not fun, lack of defense games you can get into lol

the behind to back cheeser will always drive to the other side of the hand that holds the ball so you need to cover that side 1 sec before the action and you should be good

3 Likes

I get everything you saying Earv but you have always built your team around defense and I’m the same way but what about those that just like to use their favorite players? If you don’t have clamps or intimidator you are in trouble and that’s the problem. You are forced to build your team a certain way to compete. It should not be a meta just b-ball.

I got Jamal only to to realize he’s just a fun offline card because online he’s Patrick Swayze on defense even if you are there. All in all though good tips especially the paint defense that shit has been making me rage something serious.

And also be active with the Left Stick when boxing out. To counter swim moves. Even just sort of jiggling it seems to be better than being totally stationary.

2 Likes

@EarvGotti you try dumars yet ?

Might be because of unnecessary help defense from your center. Most of the time when I give up an offensive rebound that’s because my center comes to help on a drive and can’t box out the opposing C, so in principle if you lock up your match up you’re good.
Also having a center who has the box badge helps a lot against big who has the worm badge and get around your bigs to get the position.
Box out on 5-out seems broken though like every year.

What does setting it to absolute do?

Yeah i understand what you’re saying, but thats the beauty of it to me. If you know you have a bad defender like Jamal out there then you gotta hide him by switching up your matchups. Thats where the strategy of matchups and team building comes into play. Something we’ve never really had before because in previous 2K’s even bad/average defenders could play A+ defense and it shouldn’t have been like that

2 Likes

For those that wanna see video of how i play defense…here you go. 13 long minutes of nothing but defensive clips from Unlimited games lol

• PAY ATTENTION to how i defend the paint when the opponent gets close to the rim. i CLICK OFF and let the CPU contest at the rim. Do you see how good those defensive animations are?

• Good defenders bump the ballhandler so much that they have to give extra effort to try to get to the rim. Rimrunning is not really a problem for me

• Anticipate the side where the ballhandler will go with that behind-the-back move and try to cut him off. Its hard but possible

• 2K20 is nowhere as bad as 2K18 was. I HATED 2k18 with a passion…you couldnt play defense at all. Take it from me, 2K20 is way above that. There’s levels to it that a lot of players just havent figured out yet. That’s just the truth.

18 Likes