Skittles All Taste The Same

did you know skittles actually all taste the same and that the “flavor” comes from the color you see and fragrance they produce?

In January, Brandeis neuropsychologist Don Katz sent the internet into a minor panic when he [explained to WFPL,] the Louisville NPR affiliate, how Skittles were a master class in sensory manipulation. “The Skittles people, being much smarter than most of us, recognized that it is cheaper to make things smell and look different than it is to make them actually taste different,” he said.

“So, Skittles have different fragrances and different colors—but they all taste exactly the same.” It led to a lot of blind taste tests, a lot of repudiations, and [a lot of worlds being bent askew]

1 Like

Yeah, I am always eating 20 at once :joy:

4 Likes

False. They probably taste similar, but not exactly the same.

All that guy did was prove that people have undeveloped palates. He didn’t do any chemical testing. He just showed people can’t distinguish flavors via a blind test.

But I’ll bet any amount of money in the world, that sour apple has it’s own flavor. It ruined skittles for me. I can taste sour apple with no issue.

Skittles also vehemently denied this statement.

FAKE NEWS

Edit: Skittles denies vehemently – oh god – is this the new equalizer argument???

This is so sad…Alexa…

I feel like its a no brainer that they would deny it regardless whether its true or not

Haha for sure.

Food tasting is one of the few things I’ll go out on a limb with. I don’t know how to “brag” about having a sensitive palate without coming off like a douche… but I have a very sensitive palate, and I’ve literally done taste tests on my own throughout my life for fun, to see what candies I can tell the difference.

I got into scotch as an adult, to dip my toes into non-food tasting kind of stuff (I love the Islays).

My ex made made pancakes one time, and I remember asking her if she used too much baking soda. It turned out she used tablespoons instead of teaspoons. Sure maybe other people would have said “hmm, these taste a little funny”. But I picked out the issue after a single bite. (she didn’t even notice).

My parents have both baked/cooked professionally at points in their life. I’m def a bit of a food snob (NYC sure doesn’t help me break that). But I’m incredibly confident in my palate.

I would bet any amount of money that this statement is false, from my own skittle eating experience.

Sorry, I had no way to say any of that without sounding lame as fuck…

Now all I want to do is blind taste test skittles

1 Like

Same. I’m sure we’ll get them in the office at some point soon with Halloween coming up. I’ll have to post my feedback :slight_smile:

The one thing that I feel like might be misleading, and this is kind of hard to explain, but I feel like its possible to taste fragrance. What if when you bite into a skittle it releases a fragrance and thats what youre tasting lol. I have no idea what im really saying. Im so bored at work 2.5 hours to go

I feel you. The methodology in the dudes test was meh.

And yeah, if you taste something that causes a scent, but that scent causing agent has a “taste” then it’s a flavor IMO. But then we get into a meaningless semantic debate. Unless someone is mapping your brain/taste buds/nasal canals, and is highlighting the areas that are being affecting (letting you distinguish between taste and smell).

But I don’t know if that’s even a thing. If it is, I can’t imagine someone spending the money on the equipment necessary to know for sure, just to confirm if skittles have different flavors.