New kanye

New kanye

Anyone listened to jesus is king? Thoughts?

Only had one listen so far, but I don’t mind it.

As expected the production on it is great, he’s got some nice pace change ups throughout, and although the content isn’t really my thing, I still think it’s got some fun bars scattered around.

Not sure if at like 30mins i can consider that a full album. Loses a few points for me there. A few songs felt like they were a bit short for my liking. Fine line stuff between leaving wanting more/not giving enough strategy.

Anyway all up so far I rate it as not bad. Which is pretty decent for me as he’s well past his prime imo. So I’m okay with not bad

Am very interested to know what others think.

3 Likes

as a huge kanye fan he has a few songs which remind me of the ‘old kanye’ and really get the vibes going however a few of the songs are a little to gosple for my liking. when kanye does kanye i love it but i aint here to go to church. overall id say 7/10 album definetly gonna keep listening to it

3 Likes

Completey agree with all of that.

That summary

5 Likes

I’m not Christian, but I can appreciate the music of the album. 6/10

When you wanna praise the lord, 9.5/10

1 Like

Lmaoooo all the proof I need this album was trash.

3 Likes

Lol I didnt enjoy it first listen and this only solidifies my feelings towards it

1 Like

I didn’t expect anyone to like it, but I’m a big fan. Feels like one of his most emotionally honest albums in a while.

To be fair, I had a strong religious upbringing, and even though I don’t go to church or anything, this album still stirred up a lot of feelings for me. So I just really enjoyed it on a personal level.

NGL, I can’t listen to Water/God Is without getting a bit choked up.

1 Like

who?

1 Like

Only heard the “Follow God” track but it was pretty solid. Wouldn’t skip it if it came up on a playlist.

I’m not one to really look for messages in music. The content of a song is irrelevant to me as long as it’s well put together and sounds nice.

This album has the most substance he’s made so far. Every hour in my opinion is probably the best joint on there ain’t he ain’t even on it. Also, even if you are a Christian don’t mean you will like it. I been to rural white churches they just sing plain hymns

3 Likes

When I seen that depression thread someone made a couple months back, this was what I was talking about… can’t be down in the dumps then filling your spirit with a bunch nonsense but yeah I only play three songs in the rotation

1 Like

Yeah, I’m happy Kanye is finding some peace.

You hit the nail on the head about this album though. It’s a gospel album. It’s not supposed to be incredibly nuanced with the message, or make meta commentary on the genre (seems like what a lot of critics were expecting).

Gospel is simply about spreading the word and making people feel something. I think the album accomplishes that.

2 Likes

Lucky you!

Literally was about to make a thread on this album. Its a moving, beautiful album.

Can’t stop playing it.

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to it on repeat since Friday :+1:

1 Like

Every Hour.

Bruh if you grew up in the church you felt that. Amazing album.

2 Likes

Yeah I grew up in a black Pentecostal church, so this album hits real close to home.

1 Like

Yes sir. Grew up in a black Baptist church. My grandma would love this lol

2 Likes

God is and follow god only sings I love on the album. Every other song is okay to meh. The production is incredible though and carries the album for me. I know Kanye has never fully write all his albums, but looking at how many writers were on every song kind of turned me off this album specifically. This religious thing he found I assumed was his but other people writing it doesn’t sit well with me.

Here’s the thing tho, Kanye’s a Christian? Really? The list of his non-Christian activities is probably longer than the Bible itself. This thing where basically anyone declares themself to be a Christian or [insert religion] rings hollow for me.

He’s on a track talking about why he charges so much for his merch… Did he read the part of the Bible where it talks about how hard it is for a rich man to get into Heaven? Oh, and I thought he was worth a billion already, not to mention the Karda$hians. Puhhhllleasseee…

This feels like pandering to set up his run for President in the future or whatever else his manically-depressed brain decides he should do next.

3 Likes