MyTeam Player Tendencies and Play Types

Hello everyone! Another year, another grind. I’ve again scraped almost all player information from 2KMTCentral for ease of searching, much like I did here last year (MT Player Tendencies + Play Types). Here’s the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1qtdyz0zg3heme/players.csv?dl=0

A couple of things I found interesting (I work as a data scientist IRL, so I more or less feel obligated to do this):

• Ball control is no longer overinflated (at least at this stage in the game):
    Not that many players have high enough BC to speedboost naturally, which is pretty interesting. We’ll see how things change as the year progresses, however. As you’d expect, most of the players who can speed boost have 86 BC:

• Driving dunk tendencies aren’t overinflated like they were last year:
    For those of you who played the entire year, you might remember that at a certain point, 2K inflated every single perimeter player’s dunking tendencies to be at least 80 driving dunk tendency. Evidently, they haven’t done this yet. Not that many players have very high dunk tendencies, which is positive.

• There are some big men with 3PT plays who probably shouldn’t; here are all of the PF/C who have 3PT plays:
    Kristaps Porzingis, John Collins, Lauri Markkanen, Jared Jeffries, Kevin Love, Channing Frye, Jabari Parker, PF Slasher, PF Post Scorer, PF Lockdown DEF, PF Sharpshooter, PF Glass Cleaner, Nikola Mirotic, Bobby Portis, Domantas Sabonis, Dirk Nowitzki, Kelly Olynyk, Pascal Siakam, Ersan Ilyasova, Marvin Williams, Frank Kaminsky, Davis Bertans, Skal Labissiere, Nemanja Bjelica, Jonas Jerebko, Ryan Anderson, Al-Farouq Aminu, Jon Leuer, Anthony Tolliver, Mike Muscala, Juan Hernangomez, Jared Dudley, Dragan Bender, T.J. Leaf, Harry Giles, Tyler Lydon, Luke Kornet
    Notably, Jared Jeffries is the only historic-only (no current card) that has 3PT plays.

Excited to see how this helps everyone to create their perfect lineup!

5 Likes

this is amazing thanks bro

Great work, what program did you use to scrape the data/make the graphs?

Python.

Good looks man. Keep it coming and more importantly pray that 2K gives us at least until Feb or so until ruining the game!!!

2 Likes

The problem i find is that they could make reward set cards op, but rest not so much, so in the sence people would still rip packs and the game would still be good.

This is true. For example, Galaxy Opal Giannis has 100 driving dunk tendency while Amethyst Giannis has only 80 driving dunk tendency, so there probably is at least some precedent.