Kobe and Jordan: A Study in Efficiency

Kobe is not better than MJ but to not have Kobe in your top 5/7 is just pure hate. Like come on look at what this guy did for the game of basketball. Like idk just it might just might be me but name 3 better guards than Kobe??

You can’t, but it is possible to make a case for 7 or so other players. Not saying I would, but you can

1 Like

MJ
KAJ
Lebron
Bill
Magic
Duncan
Bird

That’s 7 right there. And we still have to rank Kobe, Shaq, Wilt, Oscar, Jerry West, Hakeem, and I’m probably forgetting a couple more in this range.

Now I would personally probably have Kobe 8. But it’s tough between him, Bird, Shaq and Wilt, for me.

Edit: I rank by era. Because otherwise, you may as well just call the best players in the league right now, the best all time.

If I really tried to do my top 10 list in order it would probably go something like

MJ
Kareem
Bron
Duncan
Bird
Magic
Russell
Kobe
Wilt
Shaq

And that’s just how I feel at this moment and tbh Steph is always creeping closer to that list

1 Like

I just want to say one thing. I cant have bron as a top 10 great. What’s one thing all the greats got in common?

They are bald.
Jordan
Kobe
Shaq
Kareem
Magic

Lebron tried to go bald and failed. So with that being said. Yea…

1 Like

im happy to see another fellow spida/utah fan on here! Thought it was just me lol

1 Like

So you got kobe at 8? But Duncan at 4? How does that work lol

2 Likes

I think Duncan has the most under appreciated career of all time. Honestly though spots 4-10 are all separated by the tiniest of gaps and could probably change depending on what day you ask me. 1-3 are the only ones that I feel like are set in stone on my list. Listen I’ve never said I think it’s crazy for anyone to have Kobe in their top 5. The guy had an amazing career that I got to watch unfold from day 1 and was an amazing player. I just don’t think anyone can logically place him ahead of MJ unless they’re going by pure preference

He said Kobe had a 47% %? Kobe actually had a career 44% from the field. 44 and a 50% shooter in Jordan is a big difference.

First, field goal percentage is an inaccurate measure of efficiency to begin with. It only takes into account the amount of shots that go in out of those attempted, not accounting for three pointers or free throw attempts. Efficiency is about maximizing the amount of points a team or player gets in as few of possessions as possible. For this reason, true shooting percentage should be used to determine scoring efficiency. True shooting percentage takes multiple factors into consideration to give a more accurate measure of efficiency.

For example, if a player shoots 5/10 FG, all two pointers and no free throw attempts, the player shoots a good 50% from the field, but is only getting one point per possession used. However, if a player shoots 2/5 FG, but he gets fouled on two more possessions and converts on all of his free throws, he shoots a worse FG%, but scores nine points on just seven possessions. The first player shoots 50% TS, while the second shoots 66.6% TS.

Kobe Bryant’s prime (2001-10) TS% of 55.9 isn’t too far off from Michael Jordan’s prime (1988-1998) TS% of 58.2%. It is important to remember Jordan is never considered inefficient.

Get with the times bro were measuring efficiency.

2 Likes

Tbf, we can sit here all day arguing about stats but it’s undeniable Kobe had a bigger impact on the nba and basketball in general.

1 Like

Cool video I found.

1 Like

Don’t see where he put kobes career fg% at 47% anywhere. Also like how you round Kobes 44.7% down to 44% but round Jordans 49.7% up to 50%. Lol, smh.

they played on a different team in a different era. first 3 rings shaq was the man, next 2 rings was kobe. While mj owned all 6.
Another factor is MJ was the clear #1 in his era, while Kobe was never the clear #1 since he played in the era with lebron

1 Like