Still a fair number of unanswered questions, but this is what I’m thinking is my approximate plan for Day 1, specifically as a No Money Spent player…who did actually spring for the Legend Edition.
1. Open Packs
- Will have 100,000 VC at the start. Will use it all on MyTeam packs. Do not care at all about MyPlayer.
- The big question is: which packs? Right now, I’m thinking buy the limit of 3 x Premiere Packs (5 Players Each), and then blow the rest on the Standard Spotlight Wade Packs, of which I think the remaining balance can purchase 9.
- This will immediately unlock the Auction House, as it’s stated in the Dev Blog that this requires merely collecting 30 cards, with 20 coming immediately in the Starter Pack.
- So one could just open enough to open AH and then maybe see if examining values gives insight into which Packs to open after that.
2. Play First Spotlight Wade Challenge
- To me, this should be first PvCPU game played, period. Win one game and get EVO Wade.
There’s no other PvCPU “mode” in which you can play one game and get a card, much less a Sapphire. (EVO Wade comes as an EM, may only go to SA unless you buy some Spotlight. And appears Current Dom may reward EVO EM’s that can become SA.)
- Should be a very useful Day 1 card for PvCPU play. I remember Gold Wade in 2K18 being a stalwart of my early Current Domination lineup.
3. Play Games 2 and 3 in Spotlight Wade Challenge?
- I believe that the next couple of games will yield reward of a couple low cards from the Spotlight set and that no draw/purchase of any Spotlight cards are necessary to play these. Just get EVO Wade.
- Depends on which cards these rewards are, and if they’d be useful for Dom or TTOff.
INTERLUDE: Evaluate Cost of Spotlight Wade Set
- Did I get lucky enough pulls when blowing my VC that I can convert to enough MT to complete the set? I doubt it. Strongly. Massively.
- But if by some miracle, I can, then I would prioritize finishing this Spotlight Challenge series to get DI Mourning.
- And then sell back all the valuable Spotlight cards, if this is possible.
4. Check How Hard TTOff Is
- Play a few games of TTOff to see how feasible it is to win games at a good clip with the cards I have at this point.
- Seems first handful of games, at least, are at Rookie. So anyone should at least clear first 4 games and get 3 Tokens for an EM Reward Card.
- If I can win, say, 2/3rds of my games, then I think I’ll grind TTOff until I get to Ruby Darius Miles at 50 Wins.
- Will also include getting SA Gerald Green…and 15 Tokens, so 5 x Emerald Rewards.
- Big question is if one can win more than lose, and to what extent.
- But if one can win at good clip, then one is set up very nicely for Dom.
- If one bought Legend Edition, then one will have: SA AD, SA Mitchell, SA Wade, SA Gerald Green, RU Miles, 5 x Emeralds…and can limit extent to which one is relying upon Golds drawn in Starter Packs.
- Not to mention any good cards one drew in Step 1.
5. Try a Run in Unlimited
- Or whatever the main MT PvP online mode is called.
- Just play game(s) until I lose a game, to try and get a sense of how matchmaking perhaps works in 2K20.
- They promised better matchmaking. Maybe one can actually only face comparable teams and, even as a non-elite player, can go 12-0 in the first few days.
- Obviously, DI Bird should be a really huge prize for first weeks of cycle.
6. Get to the Dom Grind
- Could come earlier if TTOff and Unlimited do not pan out for me.
- I don’t think I’ll be trying to leapfrog to PD Kemp. Will just grind straight through.
- And will be keeping my eye on the AH and trying to gauge when is a good time to sell stuff off. Intend to sell anything auctionable that is a reward from Dom.
That’s not Day 1 plans for me, really. More like First Weekend+ plans. I can maybe steal 2-3 Hours on Thursday night, and then on Friday night, and then maybe same over course of weekend.
I’d expect that it takes me something like 2 months to clear all three Dominations. And maybe longer, if I try to grind to 50 wins in TTOff, and also take a shot at a run or two in Unlimited.
[More discussion on this can also be found on r/NBA2K on Reddit.]