Anyone had shoulder surgery before?

Anyone had shoulder surgery before?

I just started playing college rugby this year and I’ve dislocated my shoulder 4 times in a month. I’ve went to a physical therapist and they’ve recommended that I get surgery. Only problem is the season starts again in March. I’ve seen online the time table for recovery is 3-6 months but I’m trying to get back as soon as possible. Anyone had a shoulder surgery and can give insight?

2 Likes

Do not rush the recovery. Trust me on that much

3 Likes

It sounds like you might have ligament damage & probably need the surgery bruh.

2 Likes

Yeah honestly shoulder dislocations seem minor til you lose circulation. Obviously that’s in major cases but it can cause problems down the line

2 Likes

I would 2nd guess my life choices if I would dislocated my shoulder 4 times in a month…

The more it happens the worse it gets. The structures are getting worn out or small parts of the bone can break off n all that…

3 Likes

Is your labrum torn?

1 Like

Not exactly related but I had knee dislocations every few months for a solid amount of years and I wasn’t told till very late that surgery was an option. Since surgery I’ve had minimal issues and I wish I had done it sooner/ had to take a season off snowboarding but it was still worth.

1 Like

Wdym second guess life choices lol I can’t control my shoulder popping out really

I don’t think so I’m getting an mri soon though

You can control playing rugby or not playing rugby though.

Lmao I get what ur saying but I love the sport I just need to be more careful and take better care of my body

How old are you? If you Dont mind me asking.

Of course you can take better care of your body, but the question is if A. Your shoulder is still good enough to withstand this kinda beating after the rehab and if B. the potential long term effects Are worth it.

1 Like

I’m 19 I don’t know the answers to those questions but I’m doing physical therapy and probably getting surgery but with the goal of coming back. Hopefully buying a brace for my shoulder will help too

Dude thats nuts how many times you dislocated your shoulder, don’t tear up your body over a sport and dont rush back. You may regret it for the rest of your life if your shoulder is fucked.

5 Likes

Dude that’s way too young to be dislocating that often, sport might not be for your body

2 Likes

I’ve dislocated it 4 times now

The crazy thing is I played football for 10 years and never had in injury and started four years on varsity I think it’s just an unlucky streak for me

1 Like

I had a few dislocations when i was 15/16. I even had my shoulder pop out while i was sleeping and laying on my arm. I got the ligaments repaired in the right shoulder Took me about 4 and a half months to start hooping again. that was in like 04/05. Went to like 3 or 4 rehab sessions and started hooping by March after having the surgery in November.

Might just be time catching up man. I was a big dead lifter because I ran track but over time and some injuries I literally can’t do it anymore because my back ends up getting thrown out eventually. Don’t destroy your body now, you’ll regret it in 10 years and possibly have bad chronic pain in 20+

Damn prayers up man

I rolled my ankle and had to be on crutches during my preseason Tennis season in high school as a senior

I played a week or two later but I was limited all season

It was terribly hard to serve on a bum ankle

Get fully healed!

I know how this feels

1 Like